Monday, February 24, 2020

Post 6

Tulumbi


This week, I decided to take on making a doughnut-like dessert called tulumbi. Although many claim it to be a Turkish dessert, it’s very popular in many Balkan countries including Albania and Macedonia. It’s always a staple at any Albainian event I go to.  
I figured since I was at my parents’ house, I would try making a dish I wouldn’t attempt on my own. It was nice to have my mom by my side, but (just as I expected) there were some bumps along the way. The toughest part about this process was not having exact measurements for all of the ingredients.  My mother never cooks with recipes, so I found myself getting frustrated when she would say things like, “add enough flour as needed in order to thicken the dough”. On top of that, for the ingredients she did give me, she often used the metric system (2Kg of sugar, 1L of water, etc.)! I like to be precise and do things by the book, but that’s not how my mom rolls! Despite the frustration, I was glad to have her monitoring me along the way. My tulumbi turned out great, and I feel confident I can make them on my own next time :)







     
   

6 comments:

  1. I selfishly looked at your blog hoping you'd be cooking well enough to bring some snacks to our last class. I'm super impressed! Keep it up (and share some Albanian snacks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum! Those look amazing! I love that your genius hour involved you spending more time with your mom...that makes every mom happy!! I am with you on not working with a recipe. Oh I really like to follow directions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so delicious! I also think it is so fun you got to do this with your mom this week!
    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Amazing. What a cool project to do with your mom as well. That is so cool and they look phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Italians have a similar dessert!! My husband's family is from Sicily and call them "Sfinci?" Not sure how to spell it. My family is from Naples and we call them Zeppole! I wouldn't mind at all if you brought these to class! :)

    ReplyDelete