The biggest takeaways of this course are my understandings of Project Based Learning and essential questions. I’ve definitely experienced the benefits of incorporating PBL through our 5th grade service learning projects on a larger scale, but I hope to incorporate PBL in some of the smaller units. Our service learning projects tend to start in October and last until the end of the year, but I’d like to do more PBL within our content based units. The learning is so much more authentic with PBL and the students have more ownership of it. It’s amazing to see what students can achieve when the teacher relinquishes some control and allows them to creatively problem solve on their own. Teachers can facilitate that learning and creativity through the use of technology.
I learned that some of the essential questions I’ve used in the past have been good, but that others need refining. Within our district’s content unit pacing guides, “essential questions” are listed; however, these questions aren’t truly essential questions because they are too specific. I learned that good essential questions can be applied across different subject areas and they are the driving force behind the learning. After this class, I’m pretty confident I can spot a good essential question when I see one!
Buka- You and I had similar takeaways (Meghan too!) There was a lot of good learning happening here! I love that you notice our pacing guide essential questions are not really all that essential!! I referenced the pacing guide many times during this class and really appreciate all of the work put into them!
ReplyDeleteHi Buka, yes PBL was a big take away for me as well. I spent a lot of time working on it in other ways, but this class helped me to see the "big" picture of planning it out and yes - the essential question that drives it. I love that I have a take away from this class that is ready to use for next year. I'm excited to get started.
ReplyDeleteI agree. My essential questions from the past were okay... but not truly essential as they were far too limited and specific. I think it is easier to spot a good one vs. a bad one but I am still struggling to write ones myself. That being said, I am wayyyy better than I was at the start of the course. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful conversation :)
ReplyDelete